Tuesday, August 3, 2010

What you can do to help

Well, as you know I have been completely overwhelmed by the so many inspirational, positive and hopeful messages that I have received over the past few weeks; each and every one of them has brightened up my day, so thank you to all of my wonderful friends and family.

So many of my friends are asking if they can do anything for us right now.... isn't that so great; I mean I have never had so many people fussing over me before; I feel so so loved!

While I have LOVED all the flowers that have arrived, a close second is all of the text messages, emails, conversations and visits I have had in the past week. The biggest thing that is keeping me feeling so positive are these encouraging thoughts and wishes. I know it may sound so simple but there is nothing better right now (apart from receiving my new hat collection in the post of course!!) than being able to read all of the wonderfully inspirational messages I have received.

So if you are wondering what to do, then just call, text, email and keep sending your positive thoughts to your loved one; they mean so so much during this time and they are so gratefully received!

It's times like these when you realise how many generous, loving and kind hearted people in the world and I am so happy to be surrounded by them; so thank you if you are one of them to me! xx

3 comments:

  1. Hi Susie
    long time no speak and only sorry that is is through some bad news that we are catching up but i heard through Linda...from Simon ....etc who pointed me to this Blog! - we were all totally knocked sideways by the news but from reading your blog we are so proud with the positive attitude you have and long may that continue. Cancer is something that we are all aware of but so often "happens to someone else" and until fairly recently was something our family had been lucky to escape from. However unfortunately my dad on his actual 60th birthday was given the news that he had a grade 4 cancer on the kidney which had also spread to his stomach and lung through the lymph glands and the initial diagnosis and picture from the doctors was not great. But he also showed a tremendously positive spirit, similar to yours, with a determination to live that I had not seen in him before. His mantra of NDA (not dead yet) whilst sometimes seemed a bit inappropriate, his message to the world was that despite the odds sometimes being firmly against him, his spirit was to somehow find the positive in every stage of the journey and always keep smiling. Several operations and treatments later, we (and the doctors) were all amazed/delighted when he was finally given the all clear (now 6 months ago):-).
    Fingers are all crossed for you here (and around the world it seems with your strong network of friends!) hopefully to follow with another success story and we will be following your blog so please keep it updated - we are all rooting/thinking of you and keep your head up high where it belongs - you are a true fighter and motivation to others!
    all the best
    Graeme (from Cyan Group)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susie,

    I was directed to your blog from a friend of mine. I was diagnosed with breast cancer just before my 35th birthday, at the end of last year. I am heading into my last week of radiation and I am holding my skin on with lots of cream! I also started a blog as I found it was a great release for all the thoughts filling my head and also an easy way to keep people updated (finding humour in my tumour at blogspot). I just wanted to say hello and keep up the positive attitude. Whilst this is a hard and long road, it will come to an end and you will be stronger for it.

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susie,

    I was very touched when I read about your story (via Anita) I hadn't heard what you were up to, since many moons ago at QUT.
    I hope you are feeling better for now, take it easy on yourself, and give your body the time it needs to heal... Remember it is your cancer and untimately you know what feels best for you.

    My Dad was diagnosed with colon cancer 10 years ago. He has a very good recovery and has found the old carrot, apple and celery juice (with a dash on ginger) is still a daily routine of his, as is meditation.

    If your interested in reading or meeting some inspirational Australians that have beaten some very serious illnesses, try the Ian Gawler foundation (in Victoria) http://www.gawler.org/ and Petrea King http://www.questforlife.com.au/ . Both have great books and are inspirational and leading figures in alternative therapies that can enhance your recovery.........

    Love and healing energy to you!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete