Sunday, August 15, 2010

Seeing the Light after Treatment No 1

Well today (day 3 after first chemo treatment) is a bit of a momentous occasion for me personally as I am very proud to report that I made it back to the gym this morning after four weeks of illness. I awoke at 2am last night with chronic bowel pain (sorry for you with weak stomachs but constipation is a fairly common side effect of chemo with all of the nausea medication you have to take; but I agree it's a horrible topic to talk about; sorry!) so I got up and took some of my medication and did some research on how I can alleviate this issue.

I have been so conscious of eating only fresh, healthy high fibre foods and I was doing everything they tell you to do; but the one thing that I didn't think I was working hard enough on was exercise..... so after a very sleepless night, I got up at 6am and tootled off to the gym and began my mission! I have to say that it was extremely satisfying for me, particularly when I broke into a jog for the first time; the endorphines kicked in and I realised for the very first time that I am going to have to physically and mentally fight this disease! I felt like I was getting one step closer with every footstep and that was such a gratifying feeling for me. So 4kms later ( a very slow 4kms I must add), I returned home elated; woke Matty up to tell him my exciting news, called mum (and by the way it immediately fixed my initial problem!!) and realised that I feel better today than I did yesterday; I am making progress and it's fast; so I'm lucky!

I now figure that if I have one chronic day each treatment, knowing that I will feel much better day on day, I will be ok, although I'm sure it won't stop the anxiety before that third Friday each time!

There is still no sign of my hair falling out and I am secretly fantasising that I may be THE one in a million who doesn't lose their hair, but I know it will happen in the next two weeks; to be honest it won't be painful so at this stage, I don't care that it will fall out; as long as it doesn't feel like Saturday....

We are in the process of decorating the new sewing room today so we will be working on some fabric canvasses to hang on the wall and in the next couple of days, my new hobby room will be complete and I'll post some pics.....

Stay tuned.... I am working on securing a 'guest' blogger this week which I'm sure will arouse great interest!

5 comments:

  1. Suse, all I can say is that you really are AMAZING!!! You certainly are fighting this full on. You looked really good today and each day will be brighter for you. Love Mumxxx000

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie keep up your fantastic streak of determination...you are surprisingly fit, most of us would be struggling to do 4 kms on a good day!
    And the power of knowledge helps so much too

    love Kerree x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynette Hitchens-BirdAugust 16, 2010 at 3:00 AM

    Go girl......I can only imagine how big your smile was while you were jogging.....I'm am so happy for you. XxX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Suse,

    So glad you feel so much better now, am not at all surprised that you have been to the gym, but am really relieved that it did the trick!!! Keep up the good work, you are getting closer to the end of your journey each day.
    xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susie

    Rach sent your blog to me - hope this is OK! Wow - you are amazing writing your story down - an absolute inspiration to all. Hope that you are continuing to feel well - that is fantastic news.

    Thinking of you

    Megan x

    ReplyDelete