Monday, August 30, 2010

Losing the Locks

My oncologist predicted I would lose my hair 2.5weeks after my first chemo treatment, which would mean I would start losing it this week. I was feeling really good last Thursday and went to have a shower at around lunchtime and it's where it all began...... I lost my first 'clump' of hair. It was fine and it didn't seem to be falling out during the day, so I decided to wait and see how it goes.

On Friday, I lost a few clumps of hair and on Saturday, as we were getting ready to go for lunch (to celebrate Dad's b'day) I got out of the shower and my hair was literally a matted mess! I couldn't get my comb through it, despite me having washed and conditioned it; it felt like a dead mess...... and I lost half a bag of hair, so I decided to take matters into my own hand and call my hairdresser....he very kindly offered to do 'the shave' at the end of the day while there were no other clients int the salon. We went to lunch knowing it would be my last few hours with hair for a long time... a weird feeling!

So it came to 5pm and I began to feel really nervous... we had been busy up until then so I didn't really have time to think about it. It was very emotional on our way to the salon; I couldn't quite believe it was happening.... my hairdresser also obviously didn't like having to do it either but he was so kind and put me at ease immediately and it turned out to be nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.... I just kept thinking that I would NEVER be shaving my head again in this lifetime, so it was a once in a lifetime experience AND more importantly, it was one step closer to the end of this life challenge! About 30mins later, I had no hair left.....AND I don't look as bad as I thought I would.... what I did realise is how much space my hair took up as my hat was far too big for me.....

Joey was down on Sunday with some new hat prototypes..... she made two gorgeous new styles (which she is going to teach me in a couple of weeks) and the hat which she thought was too small (which JUST fits on her five year old son) actually fits me perfectly! So I obviously have a small head, which means I may even be able to shop in the children's dept for some new hats!

So all is going ok with the new hairstyle (or headstyle) and the only comment I would make is that I have noticed how sensitive the skin is; particularly at the back of my neck. I have had to put lots of moisturiser on it and it seems to be fine, however, I know I will need to be very careful in summer as this is raw skin that has never seen daylight.

I have also been going to the drawer for my hair tie before my shower; purely out of habit and I haven't quite gotten used to the fact that I can wet my head under the shower without having to go through all the layers of care; conditioning, hair products, combing, drying etc so that has felt strange. I will pack all of my ribbons, hair ties, hair dryer away this week.

I have now officially begun my journey as a bald woman and it will be four - six months of living like this. The good thing is that as you cannot see your head as you walk around, I have forgotten a few times that I have no hair... and I'm much quicker getting ready as it's so easy washing your scalp, moisturising it and putting a hat on your head!

I had my close friends come over on Sunday for my PINK high tea party, which was a fundraising initiative for cancer research and I will write more about that now....but it was really nice that none of them looked at me strangely and in fact, they didn't make a big deal out of my new look at all so I really appreciated that! We had lots of fun......one of my friends little girls said that she loved my new hair cut... and was very sincere apparently so that was really sweet....

4 comments:

  1. Dear Suse,

    I can't wait to see your beautiful new 'headstyle' As you say, this is such a big step into your journey and you are getting there, lovely girl.

    Love, always, Linnie B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suse, you look absolutely gorgeous without your golden locks and as we've said before you can certainly get away with a bald head and still look fabulous. Love Mumxx00

    ReplyDelete
  3. Righteo then!! I'm sorry to hear that I missed the event Suse!! I'd rather hear it from you than Mark!! It is done! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a very cute head Suse, but I still think you need to let your oncologist know that you were ripped off by a few days! :)
    Loved all the hats and scarves - they suit you so well and ensure you retain your ultra-stylishness!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete