Monday, August 2, 2010

Telling my family

It had just been confirmed that I have multi focal breast cancer. Not knowing much about the disease, I didn't really appreciate what was ahead. But first I had to tell my family and partner.

I called my partner on the way home from work to tell him the news had just come in. I was feeling so shocked and I was crying and crying.... I asked him to invite my parents around straight away so they would all be there when I arrived.

When I got in, my parents arrived soon after and I told them the news that I had cancer. We were all so devastated and the room was filled with tears and at that point, I wished that the GP had never found it. I was so distraught. How dare something so life changing enter my life so quickly and destroy the amazing life I've had for the past 35 years.....

I spoke to my sister in NZ who was also completely devastated and in shock.

At this point, I didn't know how I was going to get through this terrifying ordeal. It was so much bigger than anything I had ever encountered!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Suse, as Dad and I have said to you on many occasions we truly believe if anybody can fight this it is you, you have great courage and determination during the past 3 weeks so we hope you continue along this track. We are extremely proud of you and how far you hve traveled along this journey so far. We will always be here to support you. Love you heaps Mum and Dad xxx000

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Suse, Thank you for sharing all your thoughts, emotions and feelings with us. Writing your Blog is such a brave thing to do, but you are that brave person. Your positivity and courage will take you day by day on your journey. You know how much you are loved by your UK Family. Keep strong

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super Woose

    You have always been someone with so much drive, energy and passion for what you do and the people around you that it sometimes takes something horrible and unexpected for the person closest to you to remember just how special you are.

    The last few weeks have confirmed and brought to the surface everything I have always known and thought about you and the beautiful person that you are inside and out. We have been through so much together even before the recent experience but I know that this will bring us even closer together, onwards and forever. Despite the circumstances, it has also been so nice spending the last few weeks with you and of course being your house (insert extra word as appropriate).

    Suse this is not a meandering path but a journey that will end before you know it, with you healthier, stronger, wiser and us even closer. You have dealt with this so amazingly to date and we will continue to do so during the treatment. You may even beat me at monopoly one day if I start off work a bit longer.

    All my love (now and forever)
    Matty
    XXX

    ReplyDelete