Monday, August 9, 2010

Keeping my brain active

It is very true that I am terrible at relaxing and/or sitting still. My darling partner has commented that it has been a full time job ensuring that I don't do anything (not actually doing everything for me!!) as my natural tendancy is to keep active!

So I put my thinking cap on last week about things that I could possibly entertain myself with aside from reading, walking, playing board games and of course chatting to my fabulous friends! AND I came up with the idea of experimenting with making my own hats...... (I haven't used a sewing machine since I was at school and while I have great vision when it comes to fashion, I have no drawing skills and am quite impatient; this was going to be a great challenge for me!). Before I knew it, Mum was over with the sewing machine and I was all set to go!

My lovely best friend Joey came down on the week end (she is highly qualified at all of the things I'm hopeless at e.g. cooking and sewing) and I had purchased some patterns (that is a story in itself trying to figure out where the patterns were and how you actually interpret them; all with the help of my partner!). I have to say that I had very low expectations of myself; knowing that this would not come naturally to me!

Joey was so patient and she taught me so much in just a few hours. We made two hats together (she did most of the sewing actually) and guess what? They actually look like the photo!! AND when she left, I was able to make one all on my own (the black one). I know you will all be curious to see them, so here is a pic below:



They are not quite up to 'Alannah' standard but it was a great fun way to keep busy and occupied. We also purchased some beautiful fabrics to make some more (this is the experimenting fabric) so I'm excited about this new found hobby; and huge thanks to Joey for your patience and help in creating something that I'm really happy with! You brightened up my day and made me feel so happy!!

8 comments:

  1. I'm very impressed with your handywork (and yours too Joey!!) Can I put my order in now please? I'd like a grey and black one to go with my coat!! :-) Maybe you can show me how to use the sewing machine so I can then set mine up and make something too! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susie,

    I have enjoyed reading your blog....ahhh the memories! I had nightmares about my hair coming back at Ronald McDonald, but it is coming back and is more blonde (which is a nice way of saying grey) and black, which is darker than my original colour. It is weird, but there is always hair dye and I am just glad to have some hair again. I am not sure if you have looked into support groups, but there is a group starting at the Mater Private which is for young women who haven't had children. I went to a few support groups, but the topics weren't relevant to me, but this one will be. If you are interested, let me know (kmpandy@yahoo.com.au).

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pleasure was all mine, I've started on proto-type 2!!
    Love Joey

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! These are amazing...!!!
    I can just see it now.....supposed to be sitting still and resting....and setting up the new headgear empire of online shopping! WATCH OUT!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know where to come when I need a new hat for the races!!! These are great can't wait to see them once you've finished practicing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suze, I just LOVE reading your blog! My admiration for you grows each day! You make me laugh because I can just imagine you getting so bored doing nothing - you were never very good at that! I reckon you will have your own designer hat empire before long. I love the white one with the flower and I can just imagine you wearing it - please put some up of you modelling them soon.

    I am thinking of you everyday and sending all my love and prayers your way, especially for tomorrow xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Susie, Wow! Hat making as well. Have just read your latest posts and feel pretty amazed by your strength and positive energy. What chance Cancer I say! Will be thinking of you tomorrow Susie with my toes crossed for an easy passage. Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You never cease to amaze me Suse, I feel a new business initiative coming along here.... the hats look GREAT!! xxx Kyles

    ReplyDelete