Thursday, August 5, 2010

Before Chemo

Well we met with my oncologist for the first time last night (since meeting in hospital) who explained the follow up treatment with us. Now, I have been doing a bit of my own research about chemo and there are some complete horror stories out there. I have also just finished Lance Armstrong's cancer story.... if you haven't read it, he had chemo in the first instance which did not affect him at all. He was up riding 300kms the next day and did not feel any side effects at all... he then went on to have the 'horror story' chemo which would scare anyone with cancer as it completely knocked him out for months on end..... there was no exercise at all and he could barely leave the house! Now I would never like to compare my physical being to that of Lance's (yes 7km runs do not compare to the 'Tour'!!), however, I have been thinking that I definately want to be in the first camp, not the latter!

So I have been given my drug treatment and my lovely oncologist has explained everything to me in great detail. I can tell he is a very kind man who is positive (which I loved) but he was also very honest in explaining what is going to happen to me; something which I really appreciated. 

One of the things that I have struggled with this week is deciding whether or not to research and find out more about the unknown... I have had conversations with former breast cancer patients and carried out some internet research and while some of the info is very useful, it can also be a very scary thing to read some of the horror stories associated with chemo..... after scaring myself this week, I have now decided that I simply need to wait and see how I respond to it.

So with my drug treatment, the biggest side effects are fatigue and hair loss. Everyone deals with treatment differently but it was explained that there is no doubt that my youth and health will stand me in good stead; that is what I wanted to hear!!!

I have clearly resolved the hair loss issue; oh I forgot to tell you that I received my first ebay hat yesterday; it was 99c and it's actually quite nice... it won't be seen on the catwalk or at work but it will be a comfy little weekend hat; and for 99c I only need to wear it once! A good bargain for a new hat (I forgot to mention they charge $10 for postage but it's still a bargain!).

So my programme is yet to be confirmed however the oncologist is happy for me to start chemo next week. It is a public holiday on Wed so I will most likely start on Thursday. Feeling quite scared about it which I think is natural. I will be continuing the journey into unknown territory but I am content with knowing more about it and am pleased that I am 'moving forward' (in the words of our PM; sorry Julia, I couldn't resist!).

Finally; thank you for your overwhelming response to my journey; it has given me great strength and warmed my heart.

5 comments:

  1. Suse, I so wish I could be there to hold your hand when you have your first treatment, but I will be there the following weekend and the one after that. You are incredibly brave and as I have said to you, I firmly believe you are tackling this the right way by taking one step at a time. It does seem that every blog/website I read tells a different story and you are right to make this YOUR experience and not to dwell to much on others' before it happens to you.
    You are fit and otherwise very healthy and you have more self-motivation than ANYONE I know so whilst this journey won't probably be the most pleasant experience of your life, I know you will tackle it head on and make the most of each day and come out at the other end as an even bigger world beater!
    Lots of love always, shell xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well not that I can say it is the same but ........ I remember just before I was about to go into labour with my first, Emma, I googled so many stories and it did my head in! Also the stories people told me horrified me! However, I was a beautiful text book labour both times. I have learnt that every physical human body reacts to all of these prssures differently and there is NO WAY you can prepare how our own bodies are going to react. Yes I was well informed of all of the options I needed and what "could" potentially happen but the second time I knew only to wait and see what happens.
    Thinking of you next Thursday. love Caro xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susie,

    I wish you all the best for chemo next week. It is scary and daunting, but remember that it meant you are one step closer to the end! Keep your eye on the prize! I resisted the temptation to google anything to do with treatment, as drug companies are legally bound to mention every single side effect that anyone has ever had. The first list scared me, but then I googled aspirin and it had a similar long list of side effects. Every one is different and will react in a different way. If I can offer any advice, I would say get up every day and shower and dress, even if it is only to lie on the couch again - it makes a world of difference to your mental state. If you have a portacath, I would also recommend buying up Emla cream as when they stick the needle in - it does hurt (but I am a huge wuss).

    Good luck,

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Suse,

    Having read the comments posted already there's not too much to say! But.....take the comments on board. Nobody can tell you how you will react to the treatment just deal with it like the champion you are!!!
    Please take every opportunity to rest up between treatments and view each one as an onward path to complete recovery.
    I send you all my good and positive thoughts along with my admiration for you.

    Lots and lots of love,

    Johnny BB

    XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susie

    You may not remember me but this is Kym, Brad's sister, who you went out with many moons ago.

    I have been reading about your journey thus far and have to tell you that you are an extremely brave, strong, courageous and positive young woman! When I think of you, it is always with a huge, gorgeous smile on your face.

    As fate would have it, I too was diagnosed with breast cancer this year. I found out the Thursday before the Easter long weekend. Since then I have had a couple of operations, many tests, and four (out of six) chemo treatments.

    You and I seem to be dealing with this in a very similar way. I urge you to try very hard to keep up the positive attitude you obviously have and to keep saying to yourself "I can do this" - because you CAN! Even on the tough days, dig deep and YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS and life will be even better than before.

    You are totally on the right track about not listening to anyone else's stories about chemo. I don't either. If anyone negative gets close to me I just sing "Edelweiss" to myself and block them out. (You have permission to do this as this is one time in your life when you can put yourself first.) As one of your friends said, chemo is a bit like childbirth - everyone has their own story but it doesn't mean it is going to happen to you. I am now 2/3 of the way through chemo and have not been sick for one day although I do get tired. You can do it too - I know you can!

    It sounds like you are gathering a pretty impressive collection of hats and scarves. If you are considering getting a wig I would recommend Starkles - very caring staff. I would also suggest that you think about taking control and have your hair shaved off to save you the possibly distressing process of having your hair fall out bit by bit. (It worked for me anyway even though I was a bit emotional about it at the time!) I was really lucky to have a friend take me to her hairdresser friend's house to get it done so it was in a private, caring environment.

    You are doing a wonderful thing by writing this blog (and it is so very well written). You are inspiring and I'm sure that others will be uplifted by your strength.

    To all of Susie's family and friends - please keep sending her those emails, texts etc - they help so much.

    Look after yourself Susie and you go girl!

    Love Kym M xoxo

    ReplyDelete