Monday, August 2, 2010

My amazing friends

The day after it was confirmed I had breast cancer, I started calling my close friends. I was inconsolable and so visibly upset, that they too could not believe the news. I personally found it extremely difficult to tell my close friends. They were so upset with me, so many of them crying on the phone with me and it hit home how many wonderful friends and people I have in my life.

While my friends were in complete shock, the overwhelming response was;

"Suse, you are strong and a fighter. You will be ok with this and you can fight it. If anyone can do it, you can!"

I heard these words over and over again and it then started to change my feelings towards this ordeal. One of my best friends travelled for over two hours to visit me a couple of evening's later after a full day of teaching and she said

"Who cares about your breast. They don't define you  and your personality. No one cares if you don't have a breast. We just want you to live and be a part of our lives"

Those words meant the world to me (thanks Joey!). My partner is the most amazing man, who has been so supportive and loving and he too did not care in the least if I have one breast. This was a big step for me to realise that it's beneath the surface that counts and that losing a breast was not the worst thing in the world that could happen.

The flowers, wishes, presents and cards came pouring in from everywhere. I was completely overwhelmed with the level of love and support around me and to this day, I thank each and every one of my beautiful friends and family for their love and support.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Suse,
    I know that you wouldn't thank me for any (well deserved) platitudes but I will say that you have such an enormous regard for life. I know that this has enabled you to meet this "head on". I know the devastation when first told the news and the turmoil of thought regarding how to deal with it which is "something else". Having read this blog I know that you have started your journey to be free of this illness with such a positive attitude typical of you.
    Suse you are surrounded with an aura of love and, easily said I know, positive thoughts. I'm proud to be part of that aura.
    My love to you and Matthew.
    xxxxxxxxx

    Johnny B B.

    ReplyDelete