Monday, August 2, 2010

My message to all young women

As I write about this journey three weeks into it, I still cannot rationalise that I have breast cancer. I have been feeling absolutely fine. I am a high energy person who has religiously exercised almost every day for the past 15 years and I am very conscious about living a healthy lifestyle. And now that I'm recovering from surgery, I find it hard to take that I am now suffering all this pain when I have never felt ill in the first place.

Never in a million years would I have ever suspected or known that I have breast cancer. I had never had my breasts checked; in fact I like so many other 20 and 30 year old women, didn't even realise I needed to have my breasts checked. I lived in London for over seven years, where GPs do not carry out checks on women under 40 years. In fact, I was completely surprised when my GP said she was going to check my breasts as I had never heard of 30 year old women checking their breasts!

Luckily she did as I realise that this could have been far worse if she hadn't have discovered the lump. When she pointed out the lump (which was not visible) I could feel it and it was big... but I had never felt it myself, nor had my partner.

To this day, I would have thought that surely I would feel some symptoms of illness; afterall this is cancer; a life threatening illness! It must make you feel something....... the reality is that it doesn't. I ran 7kms the day before I went into surgery; that is how great I was feeling.

So if you are in your 30's or even 20's and reading this, PLEASE go and have a breast check as soon as possible. It may save your life....

1 comment:

  1. ok, so I went and had my check up, but haven't managed to drag my backside out of bed yet for that 7km run! I need you to crack that whip Suse! xx

    ReplyDelete