Thursday, August 19, 2010

One Week On....

I have woken up today and I'm so happy!! I am feeling on top of the world.... for the first time in many weeks, I feel almost normal, which is such a gratifying feeling for me right now. If I continue to feel like this for the next two weeks, I will be one very happy lady!

We completed our sewing room yesterday which was really exciting. I will post pics today. I have a lovely view of the city as I sew, which I'm sure I will appreciate every time I sew the wrong pieces of fabric together - which happens quite regularly! I take a look at the view, grab the quick unpick and off I go!!! I have to say that I find sewing a bit of a science; you have to learn which side of the fabric to pin to which side, which has been a challenge for my brain this week that's for sure. But it keeps me amused and I enjoy doing it, so that is the main thing right now!

We actually went out yesterday for a lovely walk along the waterfront at Sandgate and we also had lunch; what a treat! It felt SO amazingly good to be outside in the sun and dining, particularly as it was one of my good friends' b'day in NZ (Happy b'day Kyles!!) so it was nice to get out and celebrate the beautiful day and this special occasion.

Quite a few people have been asking about my eating habits and whether I feel like eating. I have to say that I have been extremely conscious of what I'm putting into my body over the past week, but I have also found that I have had really big cravings for certain foods! The other day, I had a massive craving for meatballs (I haven't had meatballs for years by the way!) so we found a great recipe full of fresh herbs and veges in Jamie Oliver's cookbook and Matty prepared them for dinner; they went down a treat!

It's true that you feel full really quickly and if I have a sandwhich for lunch, I'm really full. It is recommended that you have 5-6 small meals a day; I have been having about 3 small meals a day which I find satisfies me.

I have also found that I have had no desire to eat any junk food. I NEVER thought the day would come where I wouldn't look forward to a piece of dark LINDT chocolate after dinner.... well I haven't had any for weeks as I just don't feel like it. This is the same with any other treats including wine..... but I'm sure as I improve, my tastebuds will return and I will feel like coming back to all these little treats that I enjoy.

It's funny that some people have talked about gaining weight during chemo and this is something I was really afraid of. I'm not sure how this would happen so far, as my appetite has been much smaller and I have definately shaved a good 5kgs off over the past few weeks..... so my challenge will be to eat enough so I don't lose too much weight (thank god it's not the other way round!!) over the next six months. I'm confident I will be able to manage this quite well though so it's not something I'm worried about any more.

My big sis arrives from NZ tonight so I'm very excited to see her; particularly as I'm feeling so good. It will be great to have a weekend full of fun, laughs and normal things!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the bday wishes Suse, and it truly MADE MY DAY that you were able to go out for a scrummy lunch in the sun - just fantastic. Love my gorgeous pressies too - thanks and may your great days continue xxx Kyles

    ReplyDelete
  2. And as I sit in the Koru Lounge waiting for my flight, looking out at a very yucky Auckland day, I am very very excited about seeing you too Suse! So glad you're feeling better today and hope it continues - just don't try to do too much too soon. See you in a few hours xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susie

    It's Kym here again (Brad's sister). As you said, there will be some days that are better than others, but you are doing SO well. Good on you Susie - and hang in there. I'm really happy to hear that today you're feeling great. There will be many of those days!

    I now have only one chemo treatment to go and it is such a wonderful feeling. Just remember to take things one step at a time and you WILL get through it too!

    While this is definitely the most difficult thing we have had to do in our lives so far, your attitude shows you have great inner strength and courage.

    Good on you. Keep smiling and enjoy your sewing! (Perhaps one day I might even learn how to sew a button on. haha)

    Love Kym xo

    ReplyDelete