Monday, August 2, 2010

My full results

On the last morning in hospital, I met my oncologist who gave me the results. They were not so great. The main tumor was in fact over 7cms (they thought it was only 3cms) and there were two-three other tumors. It was also discovered that I had cancer in 11 of my 22 lymph glands, so it is likely that while my full bone scans have come back clear, that there may be micro cells in my body which cannot be detected from today's technology. While I expected this result, I was still shocked....

The oncologist (who was amazingly empathetic while explaining this to me) told me that the only way for me to be cancer free forever is to have chemotherapy. This was devastating news! I have heard a lot about chemo and the side effects and I was particularly distraught at losing my hair (I have light blonde naturally curly hair which is a very distinguishable feature of me). I was informed that after my first chemo treatment, my hair would fall out within about 3 days approximately two weeks after that treatment...... oh no what will I do!!!

To be honest, I wasn't so worried about the side effects. I am young and I am hoping this holds me in good stead when it happens and that I'll be able to ride through it. I was worried about looking like a sickly, pale person that everyone would stare at wherever she went! The other major drawback was that there is a one in three chance that I may become post menapausal; something I definately did not want to happen.

He then proceeded to inform me that I will then need radiation treatment which will follow the chemo. So this is a longer journey that I expected but one that I know I can conquer; with all of the love and support I have surrounding me, how can I possibly fail at this?!

2 comments:

  1. Suse, failure has never been an option for you my darling sister! And this is no different. You have the biggest cheer squad of anyone I know! Am still convinced you'll have the best-dressed head in Australia with all of the purchases of scarves and hats you've managed to find from all around the world, and you will still be beautiful. lots of love from your big sis xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curls or no curls you're still our Susie J. Love Joey

    ReplyDelete