Monday, August 2, 2010

Surgery

Before I knew it, was sitting in the hospital reception area waiting to be admitted for surgery. I was completely and utterly terrified about what lay ahead. My parents, sister and partner were there with me and we were all making small talk to help pass the time a bit quicker.

Shortly afterwards, I was taken up to the waiting room and dressed in one of those stunning fashionable gowns (a long way from my usual stylish Alannah Hill wardrobe) and given a bed in another waiting area. I said goodbye to my partner (feeling numb) and got wheeled through to the next waiting room.

It was here that everything hit me.... this was the last time I was going to have two breasts, it was the last time I was going to be normal, I had left work so suddenly, I HAD BREAST CANCER. I started crying and could not stop. Thankfully, one of the astute nurses spotted I was upset and brought over a box of Kleenex. I finished it soon after!!! I just needed to be put out and as soon as possible.

I barely remember going into the theatre and the next I rememember was looking at my partner and being wheeled through the narrow corridors of the hospital and into my room.

When I came round, I instantly felt pain. I was basically chained to the bed with drips, drains and leg pumps to ensure that I don't get a blood clot, so I felt like I was in a straight jacket!

I was in hospital for four days and while the pain wasn't excruciating, it wasn't overly pleasant. My sister had flown over from NZ and was regularly visiting with my partner, parents and friends..... so I had a pretty full schedule really and with all of the visitors, it was a great way to forget the pain!

I left the hospital at the end of the four day period.... stepped outside into the fresh air for the first time all week and was standing there for no longer than two minutes and the unbelievable happened....a bird pooped on my head!!! But it was very kind in that it missed my hair (which took significant energy to wash with one arm!!) and got my white headband..... I knew someone was looking down on me and that I was going to be ok....

1 comment:

  1. You forgot the morphine drip which supplied you with a shot of pain killer each time you pressed the button - we didn't know what it was at first but we knew it brought a smile to your face each time we heard that beep!
    I was a little concerned that your next trip would be to rehab!!
    And not to mention your first time getting out of bed - you being all worried about how much hassle you were making for the nurses, afterall that's their job (and they were AMAZING) - but you were so chuffed that they didn't have to bring in the bedpan! ha ha
    Sorry but it was these little stories that kept us all in good spirits while you were there Suse. xox

    ReplyDelete