Thursday, January 6, 2011

Putting the swim prosthesis to the test!

This was always going to be a bit of a nervous day, given that I have hand sewed pockets into my existing bikinis (if you have seen the swimwear range for cancer patients, you will understand why) but it would probably be most sensible to test it out in a nice calm, private swimming pool (such as at my parents!)...... but you know I never do things in halves so when we had the offer to meet my best friend and her family up the coast for a swim I couldn't resist........

I hadn't thought about the getting changed bit as I've never had to before, but I opted for a private toilet to do this in....... I came out in my beautiful flower covered white swim cap and my bikinis thinking I looked pretty good!!!! As we made our way down to the beach (Noosa) I realised that not only was I the ONLY person in a swim cap (and it stands out this one!) but everyone was staring at me as if I looked a bit strange! Anyway I motored on down the beach and decided I didn't care about people staring as if I took it off, it would be much scarier for them!

While the surf was very calm, I was still slightly nervous about whether my sewing would let me down but alas, it didn't! I had visions of it falling out (and looking like a jelly fish as the woman who sold it to me explained) and me having to do the walk of shame up the beach with only one breast but all was ok.......

I even went for a swim in my parents swimming pool the next day....... I never used to be able to do laps in it as it was too small but for now (it's about 14 mts) it is perfect as it is a great way to exercise my arm which is still quite tender and numb......

So we had a great time at the beach; even if it was only for a few hours.... and I retired in bed at 7pm that evening completely exhausted but it was worth it!

xx

2 comments:

  1. Hi Susie

    I heard on the grapevine that you're heading back to work this month. Wow! Is that true? I can just imagine you pulling on your hi-vis swim cap and jogging down to Streets Beach for a dip at lunchtime. Inspirational stuff Susie. Glad to hear your clear of Chemo. Hopefully your taste buds will be back to normal soon and you can rediscover normal tasting food in time for an Australia Day feast.
    See you on the beach soon
    Cheers
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Suse but I have to go to the beach without a white flower patterned swim cap on ALL THE TIME!

    Lots of Love

    Johnnie BB

    XXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete