Tuesday, January 11, 2011

FINALLY I have conquered Chemo! Post chemo 8...

It feels rather strange to be posting an entry on my blog on a day where our city is about to reach unprecedented flood levels but I know that there are friends across the globe who check in to this and I'm sure you are curious to find out how the final chemo went!

Today is day 5 and I am very pleased to say that I am feeling as well as possible after 8 gruelling sessions. Friday was such an exciting day for us and while I was dreading yet another treatment, I was also extremely excited that it was the last time I would sit in the very depressing chemo ward!

The haematology section at the Wesley is very busy but on Friday for my last session, I had a two hour wait before I even went in..... I have to say we were pretty frustrated as I hadn't eaten much and by the time I got in, I was starving, which is not a good start when having chemo (I have always felt better when I have a proper lunch beforehand) but it was the last one and nevertheless, I was dead excited!

My veins decided to hide at the mere site of any needle so after two failed attempts, the new nurse got the hot towels out and she had the choice of two very average veins.... thankfully it went in successfully into my hand on the third attempt; boy was I relieved!!!!

My red blood cell count had gone from 101 to 116 which is a massive improvement and meant I didn't have a blood transfusion; thank goodness! My white blood cell count on the other hand had gone from 7.1 to 2.6 so my oncologist was called and asked if he wanted to proceed....... thankfully he agreed that as I've been feeling ok, he was happy to proceed; PHEW!

The really added bonus was that I only had the half dose of Docetaxel and I cannot tell you how thrilled I was about that! We left the hospital and celebrated by having take away fish & chips (grilled of course!!!). We know how to live it up hey??!!!!

I have been feeling pretty terrible since Friday however, with all of my supplements and absolute rest, I am feeling slightly better each and every day....... I don't yet have the energy to get outwardly excited however, inwardly I am beside myself with excitement!

I have conquered chemo!!!!!

Thank you so much to everyone for your constant messages and well wishes....... I just cannot tell you how much this has cheered me up every single day and I am now really focused on getting well and feeling better each and every day....... my oncologist did say it would be around 5 months until I'm back to completely full health, but I should be feeling much better than I have throughout chemo in about a month which is fantastic!!!

On this day where our city is preparing for the biggest floods it has ever experienced, I hope that all of my friends are safe and that we get through this unbelievable natural disaster!

xx

1 comment:

  1. Susie, my husband and I spent yesterday evening reading about the horrible flooding in your country, and this right after I got your sweet message of hope. Thank you. You're journal, like I said, has been an inspiration to me, and no telling how many more who don't even have the words to tell you. I'm glad to know that the floods didn't take you, after all you've been through. I'll be anxious to read how long it takes for you to get your eyebrows and lashes back. My chemo begins tomorrow (Thursday January 13th -- at least it's not Friday the 13th HA!). Countdown for me is just beginning. You're an angel. Hope you keep on blogging. We're still reading about you here in the States. -Megan-

    ReplyDelete