Sunday, January 16, 2011

One week on...... post chemo

While it has been a really sad week for all of us here in Brisbane, I must admit that I have felt slightly selfish and guilty as my focus has continued to be on my wellness......I have desperately wanted to help post flooding but with all of the contamination issues in the clean up, I would not be wise to go anywhere near it...... instead I put my 'domestic goddess' hat on and did quite a bit of cooking for the troupes in at work this week.....so hopefully that will make their life a little easier and more enjoyable as they continue the challenging clean up operation! And hopefully they enjoy the taste of my cooking which is not one of my fortes!

I got to the gym three days last week. My oncologist has said that weight bearing exercise will make a big difference to my recovery and achy bones so I hit it with strong determination last week and managed three 45-50 min hill sessions on the treadmill, which I was pleased with given it was still my recovery week!

I had the week end off but have just got in from my first weight training session for six months! Oh what a feeling it was....... my strength has obviously suffered but it was not as bad as I thought and I now hope that it doesn't cause achy bones!!!

While the achy bones have only been in my legs, I have definitely felt a massive difference on the days where I exercise so word of advice to other achy bone sufferers; exercise makes a difference! (Pilates has also helped post surgery, particularly with gaining strength in my arm/chest)

I have been quite surprised at how well I am feeling after those eight gruelling treatments.... I continue to take a high volume of natural supplements every day as well as omit wheat, dairy, soy and gluten from my diet and I really believe that this combination of advice from my kinesiologist as well as regular exercise and a positive mindset has got me through this as well as possible......

It is such a relief and comfort that soon my eyelashes, eyebrows & hair will grow back and I will be feeling strong in a few weeks time which will be amazing!

While it felt like living hell on so so many days, now that I'm out the other end, I feel a great sense of happiness, perspective and gratitude for how I am feeling today........and I always remember that there are millions of people far worse off than I.......

xxx

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations Susie! Wonderful wonderful wonderful news to hear that you have not only finished treatment but are also feeling so much better already. You have been an inspiration to many, and I thank you for allowing us to go through this journey with you. I cannot wait to hear about the beautiful hair you grow..who knows what it will be like?! My uber straight hair returned curly, and has remained curly ever since. Honestly,I don't think you will ever have to experience something as traumatic as what you have endured in the past year...but you are one amazing young lady who has shown that 'when life throws you lemons..you need to make lemonade'. Congratulations! Enjoy your good health, take care and continue to take time to reflect on how far you have come. Love Hayley xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, you definitely need to stay clear of all the contamination. I think after all you've been through with your feet, you know that better than most. How are your feet doing, by the way? I'm so sorry for the horrid floods in Brisbane. We keep reading about it here in the states and watching live coverage. Every time I see them I think, Susie Johnson lives there -- and it's summertime in Australia, while it's deep wintertime here. BURRR! I'm glad that you now have only sunshine to forward to, literally and figuratively. I hope the same thing for your country. -Megan-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Susie! I'm so glad I found your blog today, only I wish I had found you earlier!!!! I just want to encourage you as you continue through this journey. I finished it all about 2 and a half years ago, but it seems like yesterday when I read of someone else going through it. Brings back all the memories (and nightmares!). Nothing better than having the chemo behind you. But I do remember having a little panic feeling -- like ---- is that all I get??? Are you sure that's all I need????? I remember going through the chemo counting the days until it was all over, but then having a slight panic wondering if it had all been enough to kill the cancer! I didn't like radiation. I'm fair skinned, etc., and I burned badly. Others, you couldn't even see a mark on them. But they all treated me like this was completely normal and I stuck it out to the very last one. Glad to hear you are taking care of yourself, being sensible, etc. I'll be checking back with you and praying for you!!!

    ReplyDelete