Sunday, September 26, 2010

Chemo Three - Kineso Success Continues

Today is day three post chemo three and I continue to feeling SO much better! We had a wonderful day yesterday as I woke up feeling like I was in week two; an amazing feeling for me. We went out for a beautiful stroll along with waterfront in the sunshine and had a great chat and lots of laughs and I cannot describe how wonderful this felt for me. I had to keep pinching myself believing that it was real!!!

We have been on a mission for the past few days, really discovering the foods I will and won't be able to eat. I am absolutely staggered at the amount of food that contains dairy and/or soy. Obviously soy is a big substitute for dairy, however, as I cannot have either ever again, it is fairly challenging to find non dairy and soy products. Here are a few things I was really surprised to find dairy/soy in:

Multigrain bread, muffins, crumpets etc - all contain soy flour

All savoury crackers/biscuits - not that I'll be indulging in cheese any more but rice crackers, vita wheats all contain soy.

Crisps/chips - all contain soy or dairy

Vegetable Stock - yes even this contains soy!

I have been tested for a few replacements for:

butter - Nuttalex has tested ok
Chocolate - yes matty has found a dark peppermint choc bar from Mrs Flannerys which has tested ok - PHEW! (can you imagine life without chocolate?)
Bread - corn bread, mountain bread and rye bread are all dairy/soy free

let's just say that we are going to be nightmares to have over for dinner parties and to go out for dinner!!! Matty doesn't eat dairy or nuts, so I think we are going to be the most difficult pair to cook for! We have decided for now that meat and roast vege is a good stand in healthy alternative while we discover a new dairy/soy free diet..... we were thinking stir fries but many of them contain soy sauce which is obviously a big no no! I'm sure it will be a journey of rediscovery and if it means great health for life, that is fine with me!

Oh well, at least I can still drink champagne!!! There won't be too many other real treats but I'm sure I will continue to enjoy nice wine and champas when I'm feeling a bit better!!!

I am still feeling pretty good today; maybe not quite as good as I did yesterday but I'm enjoying my knitting (yes I am officially a Nanna (I know that's what you're thinking!!)) and I began making my first headscarf this morning without my mentor/best mate Joey..... so we'll see how that goes....

We were delighted that we have an order for one of our scarfs from one of my very trendy friends (thanks Nomes!!); so we are very thrilled about that.....so I have lots of easy little projects to keep me amused on these down days.

I will be very happy if I continue to progress this week and I am being very patient and accepting that I will be bound to have more than one sick day after my body is riddled with toxins....I am feeling completely overjoyed with relief and excitement by the hope and thought that I may never feel as sick as I have done in the past so that is the most comforting feeling I could ask for.

Thank you for your messages... finally, if you have any exciting dairy and soy free recipes, please email me! We would LOVE to try them out....

xx

4 comments:

  1. Dear Suse, So delighted and pleased that you feel so much better this time round and I'm sure your positivity will take you through this with flying colours.

    Well done, Ben, and now let's start sorting out recipes that will be good for you!

    All our love, Linnie B and Johnnie BB xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Suse!
    I am so pleased that you are feeling so much better. It will be a challenge to completely change your diet, but also an exciting one as you will probably discover so many amazing foods that you wouldn't have otherwise. Someone recommended this book to a friend of mine whose baby was dairy intolerant. See what you think
    The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook – Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic “Uncheese” Dishes
    Author: Jo Stepaniak
    Book Publishing Company, ISBN: 1-57067-151-6
    Lots of love xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Susie,
    Fantastic to read such a positive blog from you, clearly the Kinesiologist is exactly what your body was needing. Good job on working that out, and responding so quickly to his advise. Brilliant. Was really exciting to chat with Kylie about you the day you phoned her for the mega catch up...we were just so delighted that you were feeling so well. Brought a tear to both of us to know that FINALLY things were going your way. Yippee.
    You mentioned about having low white blood cell count, I am hoping you are getting on ok with the self-injections (something similar to nepogen I assume?) and that isn't too traumatic. I can recall my mum chasing me around the house trying to get me to have the injection...it was only when I discovered doing it myself was far less painful that it became ok!
    I've just been done in Wellington for the World of Wearable Arts Show (WOW) and it was wonderful. I thought of you while I was down there because with all your sewing, knitting and creative juices flowing maybe you'll have an entry in next years competition? Have a look at their website anyway.
    Okay Susie, keep enjoying the sparkles of your ring (Kylie showed me the photo = devine!) and may each day be filled with a little more joy and happiness than the day before.
    Love Hayley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susie,

    Great to hear that you are feeling better since your diet change. I hope you continue to go from strength to strength.

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete