Thursday, November 11, 2010

Post Chemo 5

I'm not sure where to begin with this post........ it's been a bit of a crazy week and I have found out that a girl I went to primary school with has just been diagnosed with breast cancer and is about to start chemo in two weeks...... I vividly remember reading other blogs before I started chemo and to be frank, I found them depressing! I could never have imagined feeling so terrible and down about anything so I really didn't believe I would ever be in that space......... but then the reality of chemo one hit!

So I always try to write my blog so that it doesn't scare people who are about to start chemo..... but I have to say that this week, it's difficult to do that because chemo is hard and it is like no other feeling you have ever felt before (or that you'll feel ever again hopefully). My biggest resolve is that if I can get through this, I can do ANYTHING! I don't think any other life challenge will quite compare to eight rounds of chemotherapy. And five times into it, I am still astounded at how the human body bounces back from feeling completely depleted to pretty good in a fairly short space of time.

It's really great that I have now had five out of eight sessions but this was the first of the new drug (Docetaxel) and I had heard it was much easier than my previous drugs...... in essence, whoever said this was lying!

After chemo on Monday, I woke up on Tuesday pinching myself as I felt so good and normal that I couldn't believe that I had had chemo!!! I was over the moon....... then Wednesday came........

I woke up feeling terrible..... I spent the entire day in bed sleeping; which I have never done before after any treatment! Every bit of energy had been sapped from my body, my head was muddy and I was so fatigued like never before. I was taking high doses of supplements but they didn't make a huge difference like they had with the previous treatments..... I saw Ben (my kineso) on Thursday and he adjusted my supplement doses and gave me the equivalent of 100 folic acid tablets (he said he's only ever given one other person this dosage) and upped my doses of everything else......

One of the side effects of the new chemo drug is aching bones.... my god, I felt every single bone in my body ache and ache yesterday - from my elbows to my knees, it was painful! There is a high chance of chemo patients developing osteoporosis so I am trying to keep as active as possible to avoid this happening..... all I can say is if this is a taste of what osteo feels like, I never want to develop it!

Today is Friday and I'm feeling slightly better but I have to say that I don't feel like chemo is getting any easier; and three more of the same sounds like a massive challenge to me right now! I consider myself to be a pretty strong person and each time, I find that it takes every bit of energy to pull me back into a positive mindset........

I have realised this week how lucky I have been to have Matt here at home with me up until now, helping me every step of the way to get through it...... I REALLY feel for people who are doing the treatment alone as it is one long and lonely journey; especially through the dark days and moments......

But I stay focused on all of the amazing things we have to look forward to, especially our wedding..... on some days, I dream about simple things like getting into my jeans and heels and going to a bar for a glass of champagne or going out for a nice dinner....... oh I will never take these outings we enjoyed regularly for granted again!

Come January, there is no doubt I will be the happiest person in the world. While this journey has taught me so much about myself, I never want to be on it again.......

Bring on 2011!
xx

7 comments:

  1. Hi Susie, it is good to hear that you are coming out the other side. Hang in there my dear and do be gentle to yourself. Thank you for your blog.Joan xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our dear Suse, Keep strong and we know you can get through this treatment and then enjoy the simple things. It's very easy for me to say but you are over halfway there now and you are becoming stronger each day. We are so proud of you and love you very much

    LinnieB
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suse,

    Your paragraph re- "looking forward to the simple things" says so much and is a very important part of getting through this part of your treatment. Be the very strong girl that we all know.
    Bless you.

    Johnnie BB

    XXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susie

    Thank goodness there are only 3 treatments left. Sounds like the holiday did wonders for you both. I agree that we sometimes forgot what makes us happy is often the 'simple' things in life and after this year I will never take them for granted again.

    Mia xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susie,

    I remember thinking the exact same thing about my second round of drugs! I think people tell you that they are better, because I am not sure I could have faced them knowing it was going to be worse! The aching bones are the pits, and I didn't find anything that helped - sorry! I remember feeling like an old man, but on the upside, I don't feel like that anymore. You are strong and you will get through this. I know some days you can't even get out of bed, but you will get to the other side. I am coming up to a year since my diagnosis and I look back at chemo as the most horrific thing I will ever face, but I got out the other side - and you will too. I don't think I will be scared by anything ever again. I am thinking of you and sending you my 'kick chemo's ass' vibes.

    Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susie, it's Dianne here, Michelle's sister-in-law. We met on the day of Michelle & John's wedding in 2006 when you came to pick up my 10 year old daughter Stephanie who was the flower girl. She was a very shy little girl and I wasn't sure how she'd feel being "taken away" and thrown into a wedding party. But of course I hadn't met you! Steph took to you straight away and I'll never forget her big smile when you said "So Steph, are you ready to rock n roll?". That was the day my little girl found a new idol - she was your shadow for the day and didn't want to know us!
    My wee girl turns 15 this month, she is now 5'9", a tall, gorgeous young lady with long red curls. She was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when she was 12, and has to take insulin injections daily for the rest of her life. I am so proud of the matter-of-fact way she has dealt with diabetes and fitted it into her life rather than letting it rule her life. I think we all have an inner strength we're not even aware we have, that we can call on when life throws something like this at you.
    Of course you've had bad days, but overall you've been so incredibly positive and strong. And I've learnt some things reading your blog - I too thought chemo got easier in the later stages, but that hasn't been your experience. And yes, it's the simple things in life that matter and we don't appreciate them enough when it's all plain sailing.
    Wishing you the strength and courage to get through the rest of your treatment, you're on the home stretch now. My thoughts are with you, wishing you well.
    Take good care of yourself
    Dianne x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Susie,

    Thinking of you - your blogs are really so educational - I think I might try and eliminate some things from my food list and see how it effects me - you have me wanting to explore too so your influence for good is continuing! Hope the aches go away and life is rosy again soon Much love Heather xx

    ReplyDelete