Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Half Way Bombshell!

My first week post chemo has continued to be much more bearable than the previous times, thanks to my kinesiologist....... however, I wasn't feeling so great on Tuesday - my body temperature was fluctuating constantly and I was having hot flushes all throughout the night, so I went to see my kineso on Tuesday evening to see if there was anything he could do for me. He was actually all booked up so I saw his dad instead (he assured me that he'd learnt everything from his dad) who has an excellent reputation across Australia.

He did a muscle test first up and confirmed that everything is terrible, so that was a relief as that is how I was feeling!!! He then started testing some food substances and began with wheat (which we had tested before but we thought it was ok) and sure enough, it reacted badly........ in fact I could feel the pain in key places after I put it on my tongue and funnily enough I had deteriorated that afternoon and guess what I had for lunch? pasta!!!

He then tested rye, gluten and oats and all of these reacted badly also! So I am now officially a nightmare to prepare any food for....... it makes me dairy, soy, wheat and gluten intolerant!!! So my life as a passionate foodie is officially over! I am pretty well much confined to fruit, vege and meat.....(but I'm sure that between us, we will come up with a few recipes for treats!!!)

I was really upset at first, however I do realise that I am one of the very few people who has a very sensitive internal system so if it means that I live a long, healthy and cancer free life, then it's a no brainer really.....

I'm not sure if I have reported on this yet but there are over 60 pesticide substances that have already been banned in the UK that we are still using in Australia so we are way behind the rest of the world in this area. This means that we need to preferably buy organic or wash everything before we eat it very thoroughly. It is quite scary that my oncologist has said that the cancer has been growing inside me for at least two years... and this coincides with the time (or is just after) we moved back from the UK about two and a half years ago..... I think they are all signs that we need to be extra careful about what we put in our bodies and I have been SO encouraged by the number of our friends who have changed their eating habits and started looking into the best way to buy fresh food...

The kineso also put me on high doses of folic acid tablets, which have immediately kicked in and made me feel so much better..... so I am very confident that we have the right doses of supplements post chemo now and hopefully this will continue to help me tremendously for the last four sessions.

We tested all of my beauty products last week, so I thought it may be helpful to document which products tested ok and which ones didn't.

Good Products:

Clinique liquid foundation

Crystal Deodorant (however, the body shop's fragrant free roll on deodorant tested ok too even though it has aluminium in it)

Aesop - Rind concentrate body balm
Aesop - Rejuvenate Aromatique body balm
Aesop - Geranium Leaf body balm

The Body Shop - Aloe body lotion

Kiehl's - Creme de Corps

Lancome - Renergie Morpholift

Sanctuary - Pro-Collagen Night Concentrate

Bad Products

Benefit - Bathina (body lotion)

Sanctuary - rich rejuvenating moisturiser

All Lanolin based moisturisers/body lotions we tested

Bloom Organics - nourishing hand cream

It was interesting that many of the organic/natural products actually tested negatively.... remembering that everyone is different so you should get them tested on your own body.....but it has been very helpful to me.

So we are not even at the one week post chemo mark and I am feeling better and stronger every day.... I have been very good and rested all week and it is paying dividends for me now.... this is the best I've felt within a week post chemo.... so let the positive and wellness vibes continue!!

xx

2 comments:

  1. I know isn't it so scary...A while ago I read a book on additives in Australian foods and it's unbelievable. We have had organic fruit and veg delivered for a while now and the taste is so much better!
    SO glad you are coping with chemo better. It's such an arduous journey but you are absolutely amazing!!
    Brendon and Shelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susie, I had dinner with Cedric and Fiona (ex-RHP) the other day and CB mentioned that you were writing a blog about your experiences. So... I Googled you and found your site and I'm amazed and devasted all at the same time. I'm finding it hard to accept that someone as energetic and positive as you should have cancer but I'm stunned at your strength, perseverance and outlook. I'm sending you all the love and positive thoughts I can muster. I can tell from your site that people all over the world care about you Susie. Love and best wishes, Adrienne.

    ReplyDelete